Don't Blink: How was your Easter?        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Sunday, March 23, 2008

How was your Easter?

We hope you enjoyed Easter as much as we did this year. Even though the day started out a little rough for us, it turned out to be a great day! The kids enjoyed searching for their Easter baskets using clues the bunny left behind. A few of EJ's clues included:

Flying high towards the sky,
This is one of your favorite rides
Hurry, get on quick
Before your sister beats you to it!

ANSWER: The swing

Not old enough to drive this yet
Is it parked in the driveway?
Look here for your basket
Then it’s time to enjoy your day!

ANSWER: Our van

Ali's clues were easier, of course, and they were:
It’s time to get the floors all clean, find a clue near the vacuum.

If you look in a place where food is kept cold, you will find another clue!

You scraped your knee; you said "Boo hoo." Where the band-aids are you'll find clue #2

Where do we put the dishes when they are dirty? This is where you'll find another clue hiding.

Ready to see what the Easter bunny left? Go to where you keep all your pretty dresses.


By the way, the Easter bunny totally cheated this year and got the kids pre-made baskets (except for Evan). A few extra items were added, but the bunny needed to make her - I mean his - life a little easier this year.

We decided to go to the 11 a.m. Easter mass at church and this is where the day got hairy for a while. As usual, I get all worked up because I don't give myself enough time to get ready. THEN, last minute, I am trying to get myself ready and the kids together while Jay is getting dressed. Jay came downstairs wearing a pair of blue dress slacks. Yes, normally, that is quite fine for church. HOWEVER, that totally messed up my color theme for this Easter. Our outfits were black & white and Ali & I each added a touch of pink. I looked at Jay and said, "Those are blue pants." He said, "I know, my black ones don't fit." My response, "You knew for weeks what our colors were this year." Okay, I understand that it's not the end of the world if we don't totally coordinate. On the other hand, little things like this are important to me. I take pride in the fact that I can find two similar material outfits for Ali & I at different stores. A lot of effort goes into making us coordinate and look good together. These are the small areas in my life where I excel and I actually feel good about my efforts. All I wanted was Jay to wear a pair of black pants, dang it!

With all the last minute running around, there wasn't any time to take family photos before leaving. We rushed out the door and Jay wondered why we weren't getting ready to pose as a family. "Don't worry about it!," I said. "Nothing that is important to you is important to me." Jay replies, "I can say the same about you." We didn't talk on the way to church. But, we get over these things. I end up realizing what a selfish brat I am and Jay lets me blow off steam because he knows I'll get over it. Unfortunately, he is the one who's in my line of fire 90% of the time.

NOTE: We took photos after we got home from church

We got to church early enough to get a seat, but the 9:30 mass didn't even let out yet. We stood in the hall only to have people pushing in from all directions trying to get seats. This time of year (and Christmas) is so frustrating for me. I can't stand it when the twice/year church-goers come out of the wood work and think their obligations are fulfilled. UGH...I don't even want to get started on that!
Anyway, mass was good, the kids got antsy, Father Richard wasted no time getting us in and getting us out.

We got home and I had a lot to do before heading over to our friend's for dinner. I made a salad, fruit salad, sweet potato bake, Paula Deen's delicious banana pudding (see this link to try this out), and cabbage & noodles. We also brought Easter bread. Another frantic moment trying to get all that ready and the van packed so we could get over to Jess' house at a decent hour. We don't get to see our friends that often because they live 1 hr. 15 min. away. When we do go, I want to maximize our time so we aren't leaving terribly late. Jay & I enjoyed peace and quiet while the kids napped all the way over.

Dinner was so good! Along with everything we brought, there was also ham, potatoes au gratin, green beans, corn, and dinner rolls. The kids ate, finished before the adults, and were excused to go play. The adults finished their meals with adult conversation and then we snuck in the banana pudding while the kids were busy.

Jess & I hide the eggs first for the smaller kiddos and then for the older ones. These are all our angels...you know only three are ours, the rest are theirs (and they are expecting one more)!
We brought 90 filled eggs and I think Jess filled another 75-100. Everyone had a great time and we always enjoy visiting with our good friends. Our friendship has been blessed because God has allowed our paths to cross not once, but twice. We met them while living in Oklahoma and then when we found out we were moving here, I called Jess and said, "You guys BETTER be moving this way after your hubby finishes his master's!" Sure enough, less than a year later, her hubby accepted a job just 45 minutes away. They since moved a little further out, but that drive is definitely manageable. We konw our visits are now limited due to our upcoming move. We do, however, have all the faith that our paths will cross again.

By the way, we did stay until 7:45 before heading home. The kids didn't get to bed until 9:30! They were exhausted!

4 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

You probably don't want to hear this, but the pants look black to me! Everyone looks great!

Joy said...

I want to know how you have time to come up with the cute little riddles and all? I thought I was doing good just to have a note from the Easter bunny explaining that most of their "goods" were dollars hidden in eggs they had to find. I must agree that Jay's pants do look black to me so I was wondering if you made him change for the pictures?!

Stacy said...

I love your family pictures... The one with your's and Jessica's kids is really cute... I love the big wide steps with all the kids..

Beverly said...

Great pictures!!