Sunday, March 16, 2008
Catholic Church and Sanation
Many of you know, Jay & I did not get married in a church ceremony. We had all the intent of later renewing our vows in a Catholic ceremony. Well, guess what? Life happened...kids happened! Along the way (and I think it wasn't until we moved here), I found out that our marriage could still be recognized from day one by the Catholic Church. That is huge to me being a cradle Catholic and wanting that church wedding. Well, I know, I know, many of you don't get the fact that our marriage isn't recognized, so let me explain it to you the way Father Richard explained it today.
The Catholic Church has it's own set of "laws" that govern how the church runs. Within those laws, it is stated that if a Catholic priest or deacon wasn't present at your marriage ceremony, the church doesn't recognize the marriage. It's a matter of needing a Catholic official to administer the vows.
A few year's ago, Jay & I would have had to take an all day class in order to have the marriage validated by the church. Again, with small kids, an all day class just wasn't happening. Well, almost a month ago, I found out that we didn't have to do that class, just fill out paperwork. I took Ali & Evan with me to fill out the necessary paperwork, which resembles the paperwork an engaged couple would be filling out to get married in the church. I got a phone call at the end of last week letting me know that all we had to do was come sign the paperwork. After mass this morning, Jay, the kids & I (along with two other couples) went over to the church office and my signature was the only one needed. Interesting to note that I had to sign my maiden name...so weird to be writing that again!
For more information about sanation in the Catholic church, you can visit this site or this site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment