Don't Blink: Evan & EJ update        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Evan & EJ update

Yesterday Evan & EJ both had doctor appointment's. Evan was there for his 1-year well baby, even though he is now 15 month's, and EJ was there for a re-check of his ear's. Here's how the visit went: EJ Ears This little Sir has been battling ear infections since he was 15 month's old. He's always been on the verge of "needing" tubes put in, but we always wanted to avoid that route. Now six years later, we are wondering if we made a bad decision. About three week's ago when EJ was at the doctor for his ear's, the doctor couldn't actually say he had a definite ear infection. I mentioned to her that EJ has been saying he can't hear. He did, however, have fluid in at least one ear. She wrote out a prescription anyway just in case he showed any other ear infection symptoms, which usually includes a temperature. I never had to get the prescription filled. Since that appointment, EJ's complained about his ear's hurting, but nothing too bad. One evening, he was in tears saying his left ear was hurting really bad. I thought the eardrum was perforated due to how much pain he was in. We gave him Motrin and he went to bed early. He was totally fine all night long and he acted like nothing happened the next day. Well, in the last two week's Jay & I have noticed a big difference in EJ's hearing. It is so frustrating to repeat yourself at least three times when EJ is sitting right next to you. I did talk to his teacher and she has also noticed his hearing problems. Yesterday, the doctor noticed a slight ear infection, so today we started the antibiotics. Also, they are going to schedule an audio test because the doctor thinks that EJ probably doesn't notice words in the same frequency (i.e. banana & pajama). Does this problem have something to do with us opting out of the tubes, which has now resulted in some hearing loss? Or is EJ having trouble hearing due to the constant fluid in his ear(s)? Will he now, at the age of 7, have to have tubes put in? Lots of questions that will only be answered after the hearing test. Shoulder EJ always walks around the house with his shirt off. Even at bedtime, he is shirtless. So, close to a month ago, I noticed on his right shoulder blade this protrusion that concerned me. It just looks like the bone was sticking out more so than on the other shoulder blade. Jay was more concerned than I was, but we wanted to make sure the doctor took a look at it. When we at the doctor's yesterday, I had EJ take off his shirt so I'd remember to have her look at it. It was funny because when she came in she said, "Okay, so EJ is here for a re-check of his ears." (Now she looked up at him) Then she says, "You can put your shirt back on for that." After her exam, she thinks it is bone and not anything too concerning. We are now waiting to get an appointment with an orthopedic doctor to get an x-ray done. EVAN Weight Even though Evan was our biggest baby at birth, 9 lbs. 2 oz., he is the skinniest little thing and our smallest at this age. At yesterday's doctor visit, Evan weighed in at 20 lbs. 2 oz. Keep in mind, EJ weighed 20 lbs. at 5 months! Evan's height is fine - 31". Evan is a picky eater, but not anymore than Alison. In fact, I think he eats more variety of foods than she did at this age. The doctor is not happy with his weight and Evan is supposed to gain at least a pound before she sees him back in a month. Does anyone have any advice for putting weight on a baby? Shots Evan received three shots yesterday, Hep A, Hep B and DTaP. You know I've been debating this shot thing for month's. That's why we are just getting to this 1-year check-up. I've been avoiding the confrontation with doctor. It's not that I totally disagree with shots, I just don't know if they are necessary. I do, however, want to trust that my kids will have some sort of protection against these bigger and deadly diseases. It disgusts me that kids (and adults) are injected with live flu and chicken pox strains. GROSS! My compromise is this: Evan will get his shots on a delayed or modified (by me) schedule. I know the doctor wasn't pleased when I told her that Evan was not getting the chicken pox shot until he begins school. Also, the MMR is the highly questionable possible-autism-causing shot that he will not get until he is at least 4 or 5 years old, especially since he is a boy and boy's are more likely to have autism. I told her not until he was two, but we'll be moved by then so I won't have to deal with that issue!

1 comment:

Tripletblessed said...

Wow I didn't realize Evan was so tiny! He is smaller than all 3 of my kids were at 15 months. As for the MMR fight, you'll still have to fight it just with a different dr.
Sorry about EJ's ears I wondered how they were. Hope the audio test clears up some questions.