Don't Blink: Jacki update        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Jacki update

Once again, I am being lazy and just copying and pasting an email I sent out. Here it is: I know it's been a few days since my last email about Jacki. Things are pretty much the same. She is alert and responding. She has been cranky, but that is understandable. The neck brace is bothering her. Unfortunately for her it has to remain on for six weeks to heal the broken bones in her neck. Yesterday, PT came in and worked with her for 30 minutes. She attempted to put pressure on her legs. Tim says that Jacki knows how to get the nurses attention and she isn't shy about asking for help. She will raise her hand and shake her head! Her communication is improving and she is trying to use her voice, but the trach is still in. When Tim doesn't understand her, he says that she will tell him, "Shush." She will also close her eyes until he either shuts up or she is ready to try again! I asked Tim, "What are the nurses saying about her communication?" He said, "She is stubborn and that is going to help her with her rehabilitation." Our Mom used to say, "Stubbornness will get you no where!" Well, not in Jacki's case apparently! Even though Jacki is alert, I must tell you that there are moments where she is distracted or won't respond. She isn't interacting in the way that you and I would, except without our voices. There are times when it's unclear if she even knows who people are. Her memory is working and she is doing an amazing job. Please give her some more time to heal before making plans to visit her. Hopefully, by the middle of next week, our girl will be heading to John Heinz Rehab in Wilkes-Barre. Of course, I don't know the visitation policy there, but plan on seeing her soon. She is going to need her closest friends and family to help her through this very difficult process.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I'm glad things are looking up for Jacki.. I bet when you see her you are going to bring her so much happiness..

Still praying Angels over her....