Don't Blink: Where is Alison?        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Where is Alison?

After reading my last post, I'm sure you noticed that I've been a tad bit stressed out. Today wasn't that much better and by the end of my shopping trip to Wal-Mart, I couldn't believe how much worse it had gotten. Yeah, I made the mistake of going to the store with all three kids after picking up EJ from school. Just last week I swore I'd enlist Jay's help with this chore because it is quite demanding. It's not just the shopping part, it's the loading & unloading the groceries and then putting them away all while tending to the needs of three demanding kids. Anyway, they did pretty well, but after an hour, Evan so ready to go home. He's still not feeling well. I tried carrying him and pushing the extra big cart (with extra seats for the kids), but it wasn't working too well. On our way to the check-out, I strapped Evan into the seat and told EJ it was his job was to play with him so I could unload the cart. You know using both hands to do this is much easier than one! I had to remind EJ a few times to keep Evan busy so he'd stop fussing, but as soon as I was finished unloading I went to get the baby. I get to the back of the cart and Alison is gone. The thing is this: When unloading the groceries, EJ was entertaining Evan and I thought Alison was sitting there too. So, when I see she is gone I almost panic. I take a few steps out of line (luckily no one was behind me) and I look down both the lanes beside me. No Alison. By this time I am frantically looking for her up and down the main section of the store near the registers. STILL NO ALISON! This whole time I'm asking EJ, "Where's Alison?" He has no clue. I am yelling her name looking like a complete fool. People start to stare as I check the lanes near us again. "OH MY! WHERE IS ALISON?" Finally, a few ladies about five lanes down say, "We just saw a little girl and took her to the lady at the fitting rooms." I hurry up, unbuckle Evan, and EJ, Evan & I take off to the fitting rooms. Almost immediately, the worker comes around the corner with Alison. Thank you, Lord! I get down to her level and explain that I was scared because I thought a stranger took her. {Side note: How ironic is it that just yesterday I took the time to have a little conversation about strangers to her? I made sure she knew both my first name as well as Jay's. I tried to teach her our phone number, but that's a lot for a young 3-year old.} Of course, Alison had no explanation for me. She began to get upset. Before reaching my unloaded groceries, I bent down to tell her, "Mommy is not mad at you. I was just scared. You have to stay near me." My kids run around sometimes while we are out, but NEVER have I had such a scare like today. I felt stupid, incompetent as a mother, and absolutely thankful for finding my little girl. I was more upset than I realized because as soon as I spoke with Jay, I lost it. When we pulled into the driveway I cried even harder. Today turned out to be quite the eye-opener for many different reasons. The rules have now become stricter for my kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a scare... I'll pick up some kid leashes; then you can tie them all off to the cart!

Joy said...

Amy I think we've all been there at some point so please don't be too hard on yourself! You are a wonderful mother and you will make it through this time! Love ya!

Tripletblessed said...

Oh Amy how terrifying that must have been. We just had the conversation about how difficult shopping was with little ones even. Hugs to you girl.