Don't Blink: Why flossing IS important for kids...        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why flossing IS important for kids...

Last week both EJ & Alison needed fillings. EJ just one, but Ali was going in for two. She'd need the laughing gas, so I was pretty nervous since I haven't experienced that with EJ. Upon arrival, both EJ & Ali were allowed to pick a movie to watch during their procedures. EJ chose G-force while Alison changed her mind at least four times before settling on Barbie's The Princess & the Pauper. The dentist seemed pretty busy so it felt like we were there all morning. Poor EJ also needed to be numbed twice, but he was so good. I couldn't believe he opted NOT to use the laughing gas! Alison chose bubblegum flavor to relax her and relaxing it did! Evan was getting a bit antsy while he waited, so he tried to watch EJ's movie with him. Realizing he couldn't hear it, he quickly moved onto another activity. Poor Alison was SO good until the laughing gas was turned off and she started to feel the numbness. That is one feeling she does NOT like at all! In fact, her legs often fall asleep and she is a mess until that pins and needles feeling subsides. I knew I couldn't listen to her crying and whining for the 30 minute drive home, so I bribed her. That's right...and it worked! If she stopped whining, we'd get donuts after dropping EJ off at school. After that she fell asleep for a bit and woke up in a much better mood. The numbness took about three hours to completely be gone. She mentioned it every once in a while, but didn't make a real big issue out of it. This morning, we went back for round #2. Since she did so well last week, the dentist thought the other four fillings could be done all at once. This appointment was much quicker and the dentist was thrilled at how well Alison did! Compared to the screaming child in the next room, I my daughter was an angel! Today's flavor of laughing gas scent was grape. When asked which flavor she liked better, Ali responded, "Bubblegum because this one is really sweet." WOW...those words coming from my sweet tooth-six cavities girl! It was lunchtime when we left the office, but Alison isn't supposed to chew on that side for a few hours. Her special surprise was a chocolate milkshake. Since drinking that up, she hasn't complained yet about the numbness!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Flavored laughing gas- that's amazing!