It's amazing how different little boy and little girl brains operate. Dr. James Dobson pointed this out to me when I read "Bringing Up Boys" many years ago. Alison illustrated it to me this afternoon.
Here's the story...
It all started yesterday when Alison asked if she could get some clothes for her Ken doll. She said, "Ken and Barbie want to marry." Her current Ken doll is only clothed in beachwear, so she must think that is NOT the proper attire to get hitched in. We sat down today to look at what Toys R Us has to offer, which is pretty much nothing. I figured we'd run up there tomorrow after she gets four cavities filled. A little shopping trip would surely take her mind off the numbness in her mouth, right? Well, I remembered that amazon.com usually has a great selection of stuff you really don't need so I decided to check them out. GOLD MINE! (I guess I will have to bribe Alison to stop whining by offering donuts or something instead!)
Alison & I were surprised to see the selection of Ken clothing from Olivia's Doll Closet and at decent prices. She selected a combo white tuxedo for Ken/wedding dress for Barbie, shoes, another shorts outfit and a camoflauge uniform for Ken. She just had to have a beautiful blue gown for Barbie as well.
Now I am getting to the reason for this entry: While folding clothes, I realized I forgot to grab hangers from our closet. I asked Alison to run up to get them for me. After calling a second time I saw her climbing the stairs. She brought the hangers to me and asks, "Mommy, do you know why I got these hangers for you?" "No, Alison, I don't. Why?" She responds, "Because you ordered those Ken clothes for me." How shocking to me to see that Alison understands her Mommy did something nice for her today, so she returned the favor for me. Now if she could just teach her 9-year old brother the same lesson...
No comments:
Post a Comment