Don't Blink: Having crabs is a pain...        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Having crabs is a pain...

Haha...no pun intended! Get your minds out of the gutter though! I am talking about our hermit crabs. We bought two as "souvenirs" in Galveston, and, unfortunately, one died yesterday. It spent almost two days out of its shell and then I made the mistake of leaving the thing on the kitchen counter when I left the house yesterday (it was alone in a plastic container with a towel wrapped around the bowl). Needless to say, we have two curious cats and the crab was on the floor when we got home - still alive. The poor thing probably suffered a heart attack from all the stress!

Jay & I did more reading last night about hermit crabs and these little suckers are a lot of work. I knew they would require attention, but thought just minimally. Uh-uh! These guys molt and need sand to bury themselves in, proper humidity is important, salt is a must, but not table salt and no tap water, etc. Based on all the information we read, we decided to get more crabs! Jay brought home another three this evening and a 50-lb. bag of sand. Are we crazy or what? If you are oh so curious to read more about these high-maintenance creatures, you can visit this website.

The kids enjoy letting them walk on their hands and even Evan tries to pick them up. I just want our hermit crabs to enjoy their already doomed lives.


This is their little home

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Awww! That is so sweet to take care of them like that..And as for you and Jay jumping in together to figure out how to SAVE THE HERMITS is sweet too... I bet you two are bonding tremendously over your grand~baby~crabbies... Thank God you two are bonding over the Grand~baby~Crabbies and not the crab lice.....You scared me on the title....I thought, why in heck would she post that infomation...hahahaha!! Good one!