Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Stressful morning
Today wasn't a day that I haven't experienced already, just more stressful. Evan had his 18-month check-up and then we were meeting a friend for lunch afterwards. Well, the kids were not good in the doctor's office today, especially Alison. They were instructed to behave in the waiting area and I knew we would wait some more once we got called back. We got to the room and Evan had to be weighed and measured. He weighed 21 lbs. 11 oz. and measured 31" long. As the waiting began in the room, I told EJ & Ali that once the doctor got there, they had to sit down in the chairs, be quiet so I can listen and ask questions, and NO FIGHTING. The doctor comes in and is immediately disappointed with Evan's weight and height, so she re-measures him and hopes he is at least 33" long. She was relieved when, by her measurements, he was. His weight hasn't made her happy in the past, so I expected to hear about it. For height, Evan is in the 50% percentile, for weight, just the 4th percentile and his head measured in the 90% percentile. Gosh, I don't even know why I just put all that down cuz I always hated the percentile talk. Anyway...
Another developmental problem is his speech. I guess it's a problem since he only says "Mama" and "Dada" and he knows what some animals say. Seriously, he is 18 months old and I know EJ didn't say much as this age either! So, the doctor referred me to Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) where Evan's speech will be evaluated as will his weight. I'm sorry, but it sounds like we aren't doing our job as parent's. I highly doubt that we will be calling them. Jay isn't worried about Evan's speech and, to be honest, I haven't had a moment where I thought "Gee, this kid should know how to say dog or ball." The doctor feels he has EJ & Ali to speak for him. Not buying that since Evan has a mind of his own. The kid is quite vocal all on his own!
In between this conversation, Alison & EJ were acting up and interrupting. They had this puzzle they were playing with and Alison decided to drop each piece on the floor. Well, Evan was walking around and as he walked across the puzzle pieces on the floor, he fell flat on his back and hit his head on the floor. Yes, the doctor saw it all too.
The doctor left to get a checklist and came back with that and a sheet about what to do when a child hits their head. Okay, the kid was fine, but I do understand it's her job.
Next, the subject of shots came up. Another area I don't need to be lectured on. I was reminded that because we aren't getting Evan the MMR shot we should beware that kids have died recently from it. Are we going to Europe? No, but people coming from Europe that don't get shots may bring it here. Oh my! The stress at this point was too much. I just nodded my head to let her know that I understand.
Evan did get one shot today - Prevnar. Also, he is expected to gain 3 pounds in 2 months. Wish us luck! I'm sure if Evan doesn't meet that goal, we'll hear about that too. Also, she wants him to be saying 10 words by then too.
In case you were wondering, we went straight home after the appointment. I called my friend and canceled lunch. On the way home, I explained to the kids that because of their actions, I am also being punished. So much for it being just another uneventful day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Coming from someone who knows~
Give ECI a call and let them evaluate Evan.. They will let you know if he's not saying a lot of words because his siblings are speaking for him.. They are the ones who are trained in knowing this.. They will tell you what he needs...
Due to my own experience and what I was told by other people who loved Trinity, it actually cost Trinity 6 months of the help that she really needed..
I am thankful for ECI and if you do call I would recommend Mary Carol (she was great!)
Don't waste time on this.. We are still struggling with Trinity's speech.. The earlier you can get him help the better off he will be..
Frustration problems can eventually kick in due to him not being able to express himself.... That is like a big concern with children with a speech delay..
I am going to call you in a few days to see if you made that call..
You have nothing to lose by calling them.. Let them come out and just see what they have to say and then sit down with Jay and discuss what you two think you need to do..
You don't have much time here & with just a few visits they can actually motivate you to take control of this.....They might also be nation wide..I'm not sure, but if they are that is even better because everything will be transferred over and then when he's 3 the school system will take over & ECI will make that happen..
Trinity had the same doctor that your kids have now & she suggested that I call ECI around Evan's age & I waited 6 months later when I went to another visit to the doctor. She was very upset with me and on that day I called.. I have to say that I was wrong & she was right!...
Look at me, I can go on and on and on trying to tell you how important it is to listen to that doctor.. I'm going to get off now...Good luck!
I feel your pain! I'm also leery of too many shots and went through that whole thing. I didn't get the older kids their varicella booster last time we were at the doctor...for one thing, I had comforted and assured them that they did not have to have any shots. I had no idea there was another varicella! And been there, done that with the kids' behavior. Some days they are so wonderful and we get so many comments about what well-behaved kids they are, and others...well, hmmm. It's enough to say that Mommy hasn't killed anyone!
Post a Comment