![]() |
| Make a Smilebox slideshow |
Monday, May 05, 2008
May 6, 1994
I've been inspired by my friend, Joy, to relive the past a bit by posting old photos of myself. Since the date is right, I thought it would be appropriate to post pictures from my Senior Prom, May 6, 1994. I wonder how many of you know the story of how Jay & I met. This is a great time to fill you in...
Picture it: A Senior class meeting about Prom in the auditorium. My friend, Tessa, was dating a guy that attended The Citadel, the military college in Charleston, SC. I jokingly said to her at this meeting, "Tess, why don't you have Joe fix me up with one of those cadets from The Citadel as my date for Prom."
A little background info here: Joe graduated from our high school too. He used to ride my school bus, in fact. He & Jay were roommates their freshman year in college. That is how they knew each other.
Guess what? She told Joe about our conversation and one Sunday evening in March 1994(I'd have to check an old diary for the exact date...LOL), I get a phone call from someone named Jay. Do you know I almost died? I couldn't believe this was happening! I was so shy in high school and pretty much hung out with just a few girlfriends...you know, totally nervous around boys. Well, here I am talking to this guy named Jay from The Citadel who has agreed to come all the way up from Charleston, SC to go to Prom with a girl he's never met.
We talked for a while that evening. When I got off the phone with him, I thought to myself, "I absolutely cannot go to Prom with this guy. He is so conceited!" The nice girl in me though wasn't going to tell him no after he's already decided to go. Either that or I was REALLY desperate for a date...LOL!
Jay & I talked frequently over the next six weeks. We sent photos of ourselves to each other. Again, I'm sure it was all recorded in my diary! But, We never actually met until the morning of my Prom! Joe & Jay drove up the night before Prom, so we decided to all meet for breakfast that morning. I can still remember how nervous I was. It turned out to be quite comfortable amongst all of us though.
We parted ways, so us girls could get ourselves together. As I was getting my hair done (just up the road from my house), my Mom called me to tell me that Jay was there! She was actually embarassed because she was in the middle of cleaning the house. If I remember correctly, she was cleaning a litter box!
Later, when we were at my house taking all those pre-Prom pictures, my Mom, sister's, friend's and neighbors gathered to meet this crazy guy who needed a break from his finals so he decided to go a Prom in Pennsylvania! Don't ask me why Jay didn't run right then, but he didn't. I thought the topper of the meeting, was when my Mom made my older sister take video of the license plate of Jay's car. This was "just in case" anything happened to me!
You'll see some of the photos from that day. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. Thanks Tessa & Joe!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
How Sweet! I love all the pictures. You have a beautiful story that you will always get to share with you kids about how Mommy met Daddy.....SWEET!
You and Jay should go out this month just to celebrate that one night....
I hadn't seen these until today - they are great!!!! I agree with Stacy you should go out and celebrate! Great pictures!!!
This is awesome! I'm one of those who hadn't heard the story of how you guys met, and I enjoyed reading about it.
Post a Comment