Don't Blink: ME? MP? DP? HUH?        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Friday, April 12, 2013

ME? MP? DP? HUH?

It sure is interesting to get a report card without a grade next to each subject.  Instead, the codes are these:
ME = Meets with excellence
MP = Meets with proficiency
DP = Developing proficiency
WB = Well below proficiency
NA = Not applicable at this time;    NY = Not yet (on Evan's)
SC = See teacher comments

At least the teacher comments were strong...

EJ's teacher comments for the third quarter: 6th grade
"EJ made good progress in all academic areas.  He is an avid reader with strong comprehension skills.  He should continue to complete the weekly TeenBiz articles to maintain these comprehension skills in non-fiction texts also.  In writing, EJ is able to write a 5 paragraph essay, which includes an introduction and conclusion.  He is able to stick to the main idea and include supporting details in his paragraphs.  In math, EJ possesses a foundation in basic math skills.  He needs to apply this foundation to new concepts learned.  He needs to take his time, read the question through, and check his work after solving.  EJ participates in small group class discussions.  I would like to see him take his time on his assignments and projects to ensure he is completing high quality work."

My comments about EJ's teacher comments
For a boy that despises writing stories, it looks like he is doing a pretty good job of faking it 'til he makes it!  In math, the child is brillant, but he chooses not to excel.  We've seen this from him for years. 

In first grade at the parent/teacher conference, the teacher told us that EJ does not like working in groups.  He told her that he doesn't have to do that because he is going to be a fisherman when he groups up and they don't work in groups!  This is also the teacher that mentioned him being gifted.  Little did we know that he'd get in to a gifted program in 4th grade.  Unfortunately for us, what we didn't know is that...

He is lazy when it comes to academics, which is what the teacher really wanted to say (I'm sure of it...LOL!).  Even at home, he rushes through his homework like his hand is on fire.  If he actually applied himself, his grades would be awesome!  This combo along with being in a gifted program don't really go hand-in-hand.  His problem is that he doesn't have as much faith in himself as we do in him!  He is a smart cookie!

Alison's teacher comments for the third quarter: 2nd grade
"Alison exemplifies a model student, both academically and behaviorally.  She listens well, learns quickly and understands concepts with minimal explanation as evidenced by her nearly one grade level leap in less than a month on the recent STAR math test! Alison hasn't made any gains this quarter on the recent STAR reading test but she is a fluent and capable reader who entered this semester already at the 3rd grade level so I'm not presently nor nightly concerned.  However, I anticipate she will show more progress in the end of the year reading assessments.  Alison is an excellent writer, expressing her thoughts with creativity, personal voice and organization.  I so appreciate that her work is always beautifully neat and complete, and I often use her work as a good example to the rest of the class.  Hardworking and conscientious, Alison is definitely a quality producer in everything she does.  Always sporting a cheerful disposition, Alison has been such a delightful and enthusiastic, yet polite and well-behaved addition to our class.  I am so glad she joined us this semester!"

My comments about Alison's teacher comments
Does this not bring a tear to your eye?  I am so surprised about the praise Ali's teacher gave her!  Don't get me wrong, I know she does good and her work is neat, but this teacher enlightened me even more about our daughters behavior in school.  Unlike her big bro, she rarely complains about doing homework.  Okay, sometimes there are tears over writing spelling sentences, but I'm sure that's due to her being tired or something.  I just realized that she is the polar opposite of EJ and just like her mother!  She's got organization, neat work, politeness, and is a good girl, but her math score (see below) is way better than my scores ever were!  I'd have to say she does get her creativity from EJ.  That boy can make up a game in a heartbeat! 

Overall, her STAR reading score was 71 in percentile rank and her STAR math score was 88 in percentile rank. 

Evan's teacher comments for the third quarter: Kindergarten
"It is a joy to have Evan in our class.  He is a polite and well-behaved child.  Evan made steady progress this quarter and strives to do his best.  Please continue to encourage him to respond to a variety of types of literature by recalling and sequencing events in a story and responding to his favorite part and explaning why in writing.  Also, practice recalling his birthday, phone number, and address; writing his last name; recognizing his sight words; and skip counting by 2's and 5's.  Keep up the good work, Evan!"

My comments about Evan's teacher comments
I can already tell that Evan is as interested in school as his brother.  I believe the socializing gets him out of bed in the morning.  Although he doesn't usually object to doing his homework, but he really can care less.  I'm assuming he is an interactive type of learner and not all about the paperwork.  It's nice to hear that he is a good boy and uses his manners around his friends.  Believe me, I know he has his moments, but the are few and far between. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!