Don't Blink: Sick baby        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Sick baby

Evan has had a temperature since early Thursday morning. A temperature could mean many things. Teething? Ear infection? Beginning of vomitting/diarrhea (which happens to be going around right now)? Our track record indicates ear infection. EJ's began around 16 months. This experience included an ER visit with the nurses wrapping a sheet around EJ to take blood. The child would not calm down, so it wasn't clear whether his red eardrums were from infection or screaming. Yeah, it was a total nightmare. Alison had her first ear infection on her 1st birthday. This was definitely a less dramatic doctor visit. Let's not forget though her ER visit at 5 weeks old due to a temperature. With babies this little it's unclear whether the temperature is caused by a viral or bacterial infectoin. All sorts of fun tests were done that trip. They included blood work, a spinal tap AND a weekend stay at the Children's hospital where an IV was placed in her foot. As you can see, ER trips are not good for me. In fact, if possible I make Jay go. In Ali's case I had to go because I was nursing her. So...I take Evan to the doctor on Thursday morning. About 1/2 hour before taking him, a rectal temperature tells me he has a 101.5 degree fever. I opt to NOT give him any medication to let his little body to continue to fight the good fight AND to allow the doctor to see I am not crazy. Evan slept all the way to the office. Inside, the kid is acting fine. We finally get taken back and their ear thermometer reads 97.6 degrees. WHAT?!? Okay, fine I think. It's gotta be an ear infection and I'll find out soon enough. Nope, his ears look okay. The right one looks slightly red, but the doctor doesn't consider it an ear infection. Evan has spots on his tonsils which indicates a viral infection. I'm advised to continue the Tylenol and Motrin and if his temperature continues to be 102.2 for three days it is most likely an ear infection. Motrin works better (in our experience) and helps with any pain. Plus, I find out that Tylenol can cause liver damage in kids. Not using that too much... Here it is Saturday night. Evan's temperature has reached exactly 102.2 degrees at least twice since the visit. At these times, Motrin is immediately administered. Other readings have been 101.5, 99.9, and 101.6. We've been allowing him to try to fight off whatever is going on, even if it is an ear infection. I went to the health foods store today and bought grapefruit seed extract drops. A more natural approach is my goal. Jay's not exactly on that bandwagon, but I've been doing more research and talking to a friend whom I trust completely. She is full of knowledge about herbs and homeopathic remedies, so I am attempting to make that transition. Probiotics are now being given to my kiddos. Please pray Evan's fever breaks soon or else I'll be making the trek back to the doctor on Monday. It's just awful seeming him so sick. I know antibiotics will do wonders, but my new knowledge wants me to stay away from them.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I just read this Monday morning - is Evan doing any better? I hope so. I know how stressful it can be to have a sick baby so I do hope the fever has broken and he's doing better.