Don't Blink: Fevers, vomitting and pink eye? OH MY!        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Fevers, vomitting and pink eye? OH MY!

February 6, 2011

Whatever it is, it has taken control of our house and isn't going down without a fight. The victims: Evan and Alison. Poor Evan has been hit twice in the last week. I don't think he knew what hit him last Sunday when this saga began. The last time he threw up was when he was 9 months old. Well, he vomitted for four hours. The first time was in his own bed and the rest were while he was in my bed, but in the trash can. I set up camp. Literally...trash can, tissues, gatorade, and antibacterial wipes. Evan made sure I changed the bag with each fresh addition. At one point, I when I asked him if he was done, he answered, "I'll do more tomorrow." He was exhausted and just wanted to sleep! Me too, but everytime he stirred, I had the trash can ready to go. Since I am normally a light sleeper, I just watched him. I attempted to lay my head down, but with no results. Finally around 2:30 a.m., Evan's body was ready to rest and we slept 'til the morning light. In the morning, Alison woke up with a fever. For three days, she had a fever. During the day though, she acted fine. I noticed she'd become sleepy in the late afternoon. After doing some research, it seems that is common with fevers. It will peek between the hours of 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. so kids shouldn't even be sent to school until they can clear those hours. I didn't give her any medicine during those days because, even though her fever would get close to 102 degrees, she said she felt okay. Her body needed to fight what was going on or else she'd be worse off the next time. On Wednesday night, right before bedtime, Evan looked like he had pink eye. UGH!!! I was so happy thinking that Alison was finally going to school the next day and Evan would be gone too for a few hours. Instead, I made a doctor's appointment the very next morning. To my amazement, Evan did NOT have pink eye. It was just part of the viral infection. During these few days, I already stripped down my bed, Evan's bed, and Alison's. Also, all towels had been washed, floors mopped, windows left open and the house Lysol wiped down. I did everything from door knobs to remote controls to the cords on the blinds. Only did I learn, from the doctor Evan was seen by, that the disinfecting was useless. The fevers and vomitting are something that have to run their course. It's a fierce sickness. For three days, three precious days, I thought we were clear until this morning Evan woke up with a fever. Here we go again...

No comments: