Don't Blink: Our luck has run out...        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Our luck has run out...

We've been lucky for nine years. Throughout those years, we've visited the ER a number of times. This is the first time for stitches. Personally, I would've preferred our luck to continue, but it wasn't meant to be. Our little Evan fell while at the playground yesterday and hit his head either on a step or the matchbox car he was holding. The wound (as seen below) was pretty deep and, right away, I knew we'd be going to the emergency room. Even though the wound was deep, it didn't bleed alot...surprisingly. Every single time I go to the ER with the kids, I dread it. It is an unbearable task that I know has to be done, but I abhor it. This is one of the worst responsibilities as a parent, as a mother. You know you have to do something to better your child, yet every fiber of your being doesn't want to. That's when we have to put on our big girl (or boy) panties and SUCK IT UP! I was lucky Jay was home early due to an office golf tournament and my sister, Jacki, just got into town. She stayed home with EJ & Alison while Jay & I took off for the ER. Poor Evey was definitely more frightened than in pain. In fact, he said his boo boo didn't hurt at all. Later, I realized this had to be true because he never took any pain medicine. Once we got Evan checked in at the hospital, we waited for a bit before the nurse came in to the room. She administered a numbing ointment on the cut and told us she'd be back in 2o minutes while it worked it's magic. In about that amount of time, the doctor came in, introduced himself and put more ointment on Evan. He didn't waste any time after that because he made us take Evan's shirt off and wrap him in a sheet with his arms pinned at his side. That is the part that gets me the most for some reason... Our crying baby boy laid down and listened as the doctor told him he was going to put a needle in his head that will pinch and sting a little bit, but, hopefully, the numbing ointment did it's job. Of course, there is no way of actually knowing that until the needle is stuck in the cut. Evan got numbed more by the needle, but I do believe he felt some of it. The doctor then flushed the cut really well with saline. Evan cried & cried until the first stitch went in. Jay started singing Old McDonald Had a Farm and that seemed to calm him. We even heard a few giggles as Daddy attempted to make silly farm animal noises. Five stitches later, Evan was done! What a strong, brave 3-year old we have! After getting him dressed and making a run for the potty, the nurse gave Evan a little stuffed sheep (see pic below) and some stickers. He was SO happy to get a present for doing such an amazing job!

Evan with his sheep, bandaged head and hospital bracelet.

1 comment:

Auntie Ethel said...

Hes just the cutest little thing hugs and kisses to my evey