Don't Blink: EJ's First Confession        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Saturday, March 07, 2009

EJ's First Confession

Last weekend, EJ received a second sacrament through the Catholic Church-the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Yes, there is MUCH debate about this Sacrament. Is it necessary? Why do we need to confess our sins to a priest? Etc. Etc. I get it. I, too, struggle with this at times. However, my son summed it up after visiting with the priest... After leaving the confessional, here is what EJ had to say, "My heart feels different" and "All of a sudden I like these Catholic things." You have to understand that coming into this year, EJ wanted nothing to do with Church. Of course, this frightened me, but as his parent I knew he had to continue. We bargained. Yes, I agree I shouldn't have to bargain with a then 7-year old. Well, you would too if you didn't want his heart to be hardened and turned off by going to Church. The bargain was this: I expected him to at least receive his First Holy Communion, which is on May 2nd. After that, we would talk about his options. I don't MAKE EJ go to Church weekly. Once a month and holiday's in between is all. That wouldn't change if he decided he didn't want to continue with Religious Education. On top of all that, the child seldom complains about going to those classes! SO, when my first-born son spoke those two lines after last Saturday, my heart jumped for joy! I pray that EJ continues on his spirtual journey with the same happy heart he felt last weekend. To me, the Holy Spirit exploded in him that day and all because he confessed his sins to a priest!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi Amy, I went to confession a few times after I went through RCIA.. I actually liked it! I liked it for this reason: You are given the assigned penance after you confess your sins.. My first confession I was told to go to the prayer room 2 hours in one week and pray...I did and found it very peaceful and fulling.. Some people might pray and not get that assigned penance and fall short on improving themselves (some people might not need any help on feeling forgiven), but with a little help from a Priest I think some people can forgiven themselves easier after they do the assigned penance.. I also went to the Priest for help dealing with a few of my own problems and found that he was highly educated to help me deal with what I was dealing with..

Yippy for EJ, I am excited for him!

Jeanne Lobsinger said...

It makes me want to go to confession. I was actually thinking today how long it had been since I last confessed. I met a lady today that belongs to a large Catholic homeschool group today and it gives me hope about me not making my kids go to church.

Very proud of EJ!!