Even though I didn't know my Grandma, Emily, as well as I hoped; I will still miss her. She passed away today, December 16th, at the age of 99...on Alison's 4th birthday. She was my Dad's Mother. As you know, my Dad died in 1982 at the tender age of 34. I was 5 years old. When he was gone, my Mom didn't keep in touch with his side of the family too well. In fact, it was my sister, Nikki, who rekindled the relationship in 2002. She would visit our Dad's gravesite often and there were always flowers left or planted. She left a note one day and my Aunt Janet (Dad's sister) contacted Nikki. EJ was 18 months when he met his Great-Grandma at a family reunion. My Dad's side of the family got everyone (Aunts, Uncles, cousins) together that day in July just for Nikki, Jay, EJ and myself to meet them. It was one of the nicest things ever!
I guess I am sad that I never got to know my Grandma before she became a little forgetful. I'm not sure she really knew who I was. I don't have many memories of her, except my Mom telling me that I was almost named after her. I knew that Gram's mind was slowly going, so I never pushed the idea of Alison and Evan meeting her. Now, poor Ali, will be left with the knowledge that her Great-Grandma died on her birthday. Sometimes, after the fact, I am filled with regret. Once again, I regret not seeing Gram during my visits to Pennsylvania. Her funeral will be at the end of the week. If I don't attend, I will regret that decision too. There are too many reasons why I should NOT attend (i.e. Jay having to take off work, bad weather). For me, even with a death, being around my Dad's family makes me feel closer to him.
Gram is in the center of the bench with her children. My Dad was one of seven children.
.jpg)
EJ liked Gram's cane, and she let him play with it.
Jay, Gram, Amy & EJ
Gram with Denise (my half-sister), Nikki, Amy & EJ
2 comments:
Hi, Amy,
Just caught up a bit on your blog. I'm sorry for your loss this season but am praising God with you about the news concerning your sister!! Woohoo! What a great Christmas gift. Your pictures are all so great--looks like you guys are doing well there in MD.
Merry Christmas!
Sometimes a loss in the family opens up new doors or shall I say doors that haven't been opened in a very long time.. Wow! Just imagine who you are going to see and meet at the funeral. You are not only going to get more family added to your life, but just think of what they will tell you about your dad and how he was when he was a child. Very Interesting! What a gift your Grandma left behind! I bet at that funeral she is going to be looking down and smiling as everyone reconnects.. I'm sorry for your loss, but 99 years old and looking as pretty as she did in those pictures, I'm sure she lived a very happy and very full life..
Post a Comment