For awhile now, I've been getting these dizzy spells and, for the most part, they've been mild. It didn't seem like any one thing triggered them so I didn't worry too much about them. That was until last September when I had a bigger spell that almost put me into a panic. It lasted longer than the ones before and, during it, all I think could was, "What if I fell and had a seizure right now?" Jay & the kids were with me at the time. Because of that episode, I made an appointment with my doctor to discuss the possibilities about what could be going on with me. After talking to her, she thought I had some sort of vertigo, so she referred me to an ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat) doctor. So, off to another appointment I went...
The ENT was great and he put me through a series of tests and told me I pretty much diagnosed myself. He said the dizzyness was actually migraines. We all don't get headaches when we aren't well. He obviously had more concerns because he wanted me to get an MRI with contrast, a hearing test and go see a neurologist. Geesh...that's alot of appointments!
I immediately set up all the appointments with seeing the neurologist last, as requested. This way she could review the results of the other two tests. First up was the MRI. It was 45 minutes long and part way through I was injected with contrast solution. Little did I know that the reason the tech told me to drink plenty of water after the test was because I was about to experience the worst headache of my life! The day after the MRI was awful. I spent most of the day on the couch. In the evening, there was a function at Alison's school that I went to, but I wish I hadn't. I was sick, sick, sick! The second appointment with the audiologist went great. My hearing is fine and she saw no signs that I had vertigo. She mentioned there was another test that could be done to be sure, but that was her last resort. It would be mine as well because it's a test that you are made dizzy on purpose and I'd need someone to drive me home. I probably would've vomitted during it! Three months ago, I visited the neurologist for the third appointment. By this point I was hoping to hear something - anything- about what is going on and why I am getting randomly dizzy. The neurologist didn't see anything on my MRI that concerned her. What she mentioned was lyme disease, which is abundantly diagnosed in this area. That freaked me out a bit, but I knew that wasn't the problem (or so I hoped). There is also another test similar to the MRI that could be done, but that could wait until the follow up appointment, if needed. She also wanted me to keep track of when I got dizzy, what I was doing when it occurred, etc. and she'd see me back in three months for a follow up.
Fast forward to last week. I struggled with even going back. Although I was still getting dizzy, they didn't increase in frequency or there wasn't a certain time I would get them. Nothing had changed. They were always completely random (i.e. watching TV, preparing dinner, working on the computer). I figured I could at least see what the neurologist's next step would be, so I kept the appointment. She asked me how I was doing and I told her that when I took a multivitamin, the spells seemed to decrease in frequency. Also, a friend of mine suggested I get specific blood drawn to check the levels of certain vitamins in my blood. When I mentioned that to the doctor, she agreed that was a good idea so she ordered the levels of Vitamin D, B12, potassium, and magnesium be checked. Also, she wanted to see if I did have lyme disease. Of course, I'd only be called if there was something wrong and she wanted to see me again in four months.
On Tuesday, I got a phone call from the neurologist's office and I was SO nervous to hear what they found. It turns out that both the levels of my Vitamin D and B12 are low. I got a prescription to take Vitamin D once a week. For B12, I have to go to the office to get a shot once/week for a month and then once/month for six months. I went today and am not looking forward to having this done weekly. It burned and now my arm is sore!! OUCH!
So finally, there is an answer to the "dizzying dilemma." At least, I do hope it has been answered. Anytime you know you don't feel well is scary. For me, I always assume the worst, but hope for the best. In this case, getting weekly shots is a great solution. I'll definitely take that over dealing with effects of lyme disease!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment