Don't Blink: It's time...and I feel like the worst Mom ever!        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's time...and I feel like the worst Mom ever!

It should've been done a year ago, but, as is the case with most big decisions, Mommy wasn't ready. I'm finally ready and so is my strong, little girl. The finger sucking is coming to an end. This week I ordered the FingerGuard to make this happen (I hope)! I made sure Alison was on board before spending the money. She agreed. All week she kept asking, "Is my FingerGuard here yet?"

The bunny has a huge part in her finger sucking. The minute she picks it up, she pops those two fingers on her left hand in her mouth. What we didn't expect was the trauma we'd both feel as I took it away. I knew I had no choice in doing so, yet it doesn't make it any easier. It seems she wasn't the only one with an attachment to that damn stuffed animal...LOL!! I can still see Alison, as a baby, standing up in her crib holding on to that thing.

At bedtime, we put the FingerGuard on; putting two bracelets on because it seemed a little big. I asked Alison if she was ready. She was, so I gave her the honor of snapping the clasp shut. We also prayed that GOD would make her strong so she could finally quite sucking her fingers. About 30 seconds after I said goodnight she was at my door asking for bunny. Uh-oh. This happened another time too, but she stayed in her bed whimpering the whole time. It literally took her about ten minutes to fall asleep. Thank goodness she has always been our good sleeper!

This process is supposed to go on for at least three weeks. Ali & I have already discussed putting the FingerGuard on shortly after she comes home from school or when she is watching TV. I've noticed that TV acts as a catalyst too. I am hopeful this will work for her and we will both be much happier! 

No comments: