Don't Blink: We survived our FIRST camping trip...        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Sunday, August 16, 2009

We survived our FIRST camping trip...

EJ's tent is the one on the right. Ours was on the left. Alison didn't want to stop playing for this picture so this is what we got! We did it! We camped as a family. Okay, so there were two other parents with their kids too, but we helped each other out. I think it would have been much more stressful if we went by ourselves. Anyway, the first night, EJ spent alone in his tent. We are so proud of him for doing so, but the night was eventful. Between the little ones saying, "I'm hot" or EJ yelling, "MOMMY," each adult had a difficult first night. All the kids went to bed pretty late. I know it was after 1:30 a.m. by the time I fell asleep. On Saturday, we were awaken at 6:30 to the sounds of the morning birds. Why didn't I bring a fog horn or something to scare those things away? The kids woke up ready to go, so once we dressed, all eleven of us went out to breakfast at a local cafe. Afterwards, we took the kids fishing and swimming where they quickly dozed off after all this activity! The evening was relaxing as we cooked a yummy dinner of beef shish kebobs, corn-on-the-cob, baked potatoes and snapper. Smores were our dessert and hanging out by the fire ended our day. I know I slept better on night #2, but the kids still had us up. EJ ended up in our tent, Evan woke up throwing his pillow and Ali would freak out if Evan touched her. Jay didn't sleep as well this night. I guess Evan kept kicking him. On the second morning, those dang birds were just as chipper as the day before! At least the sound was more welcoming with a bit more sleep! Once awake, Jay got a fire going and we made coffee in the percolator. I think it was the best coffee ever! We took our time packing up, letting the kids play in the dirt after breakfast, and then we headed home. Overall, this is a family activity I know we will do again as long as I make things less of a production (according to my hubby). Camping is pretty simple and one just has to learn to go with the flow...that was a reminder to myself!
Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Camping
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

2 comments:

Jeanne Lobsinger said...

Did you get a bear to take the family picture? You are very brave to do that.

Beverly said...

Good for you! We're thinking of going camping...we keep waiting for the kids to be "old enough," but then we keep adding kids, LOL. We just need to go for it!!