Don't Blink: Reading: EJ vs. Alison        
 
           
         
   
     
       
     
       

Blog Archive

     
     
       

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reading: EJ vs. Alison

December 12, 2010

If I remember correctly, EJ could read pretty well before starting Kindergarten.  Afterall, I did take the time to teach him to read by using the book Teach Your Child How To Read In 100 Easy Lessons as my guide.  By lesson 85, he was done.  It's almost like he just understood the sounds letters make and how to put those sounds together to make words.  In 1st grade, I was shocked to learn EJ was reading as well as a 4th grader.  His passion was anything but chapter books.  It makes me happy to know his teachers read chapter books to the kids out loud.  EJ just wasn't interested in those kid of books until earlier this year when he brought home a Harry Potter (HP) book.  Whew, I thought, but also I felt conflicted.  In my mind, I'd allow him to read that series when he turned ten, but I felt relieved he brought home a chapter book!  Needless to say, EJ did read the HP series in the most way ever.  He had no desire to read them in order.  We went with it.  After he read all seven books, he re-read them in order! 

On a side note, when it comes to spelling, EJ has no problems.  Each week when the list is sent home, he gets mad at me when I want to go over it with me.

Onto Alison...the little girl who is amazing me more gradually.  Last summer, I attempted introduce her to the above listed book.  We did about three lessons and then I'd forget for days about it.  So, I'd ask Ali if she wanted to learn how to read.  She'd tell me no and more than once all summer long.  A part of me worried because I knew EJ could read before going to school.  Another part of me thought she'd be fine.  Yes, she is definitely fine.  It all started by Ali asking me how to spell certain words.  I'd tell her and she'd write them down.  Then she went on to copying words I would write down with all the letters being in the proper order.  And now she is picking up on those sight words, including colors.  Last week, the teacher read Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?  Of course, Alison came home all excited that she could read me a book!  Well, her idea of "reading" was taking a sneak peek at the next page to see what animal would be next.  Tonight I held the book while she "read" it.  That girl knew the words.  I'm pretty sure it was partly from memory, but also partly because she is putting the sounds together. 

It is so sweet watching Alison's interest in reading increase everyday.  I know by the end of her Kindergarten year, she will be reading Step 1 books all on her.  It makes me happy to know I have nothing to worry about AND I shouldn't compare apples & oranges!!

No comments: